Halloween and Trick-or-Treat is fun for people of all ages. Even dogs have been known to dress up and go trick-or-treating with their families!
Despite all the fun, we can’t let down our guard when it comes to our pets’ health. Halloween candy can pose a serious health risk to cats and dogs alike. Dr. David Lee, of Broad Ripple Animal Clinic and Wellness Center says, “If your pet gets into your Halloween candy, contact your veterinarian immediately.”
In most cases, accidental ingestion of candy causes an upset stomach and perhaps bouts of diarrhea. But there are a number of other things to keep in mind.
- Chocolate can be toxic if eaten by your pet. Depending on the amount consumed, your veterinarian may need to induce vomiting with activated charcoal, hospitalize and observe your pet while offering supportive care. Dark chocolate is MORE toxic than equal amounts of milk chocolate.
- Some types of candy, especially suckers and lollipops can be quite dangerous. Your dog may eat the stick (or handle) of the sucker, causing a foreign body obstruction. In these cases, x-rays are in order, with a possibility for surgery to remove the stick.
Chocolate contains caffeine, so your dog may be displaying the same symptoms you might expect of a person who has consumed too much caffeine. They may act jittery, have tremors, or even begin to have seizure activity. If you see any of these warning signs in your pet, contact your veterinarian immediately.
The Doctors and Staff at Broad Ripple Animal Clinic and Wellness Center wish you and your pets a safe and Happy Halloween!